My Japan - Clarity


My Japan - a brief reflection focusing on my artist and the industry. 

An enchanting world of its own: full of pleasant delights and endless secrets. A hybrid world of the new and ancient.

“You will love it there”, the most common response prior to my adventure. Duh. “The people are so polite and welcoming. They will treat you so well you won’t want to leave” Of course.

I discovered some answers; the roots within the themes of Manga and the construction of it. I knew a lot of it already, but it’s clarifying discovering it for yourself.   The Japanese way of life is liner and conservative. And yes, very sexist in an old fashioned manner:  A timeline of statuses to achieve by particular ages. Each separate for women and men of course. They even believe in bad luck years at particular years of age. To become a Mangaka, you have to study art at college and then graduate – hopefully you’ll get picked up by an editor - In your early twenties or fail. That seems to be the industry standard. I am sure there are there have been other ways for Mangaka, and I know there has been. Naturally, there is still much I don’t know about the industry or what I have learned. However I feel clarity.

How lucky I am, to be living in Australia, where we really have no restrictions on the expectations of how to live life - in comparison. I wonder what hope or acceptance I would have had, breaking into the Manga scene in my late twenties, without the refinement and experience; and of course the lack of drawing for 10 years. In Australia it is normal to change careers and jobs, and explore creatively as we find our way through life. I can’t express the gratitude I feel for this freedom. It is because of this, I truly feel unique as an artist. Now I truly feel wonderful to embrace this uniqueness.

It would have been a bonus, meeting an actual Mangaka in Japan. To have had that expectation would be foolish; They work long days and nights locked away.. and if by chance I did catch one getting some work done in a café late at night.. I would have been extremely lucky for them to feel confident to engage with me. Not many Japanese were confident engaging with me on a personal level, even though I had learned a little Japanese-in random situations. On the other hand, at an event like sumo wrestling where we had allocated seating – they was hardly a silence between the broken English and Japanese attempts at conversation. Under the restraint of manner the Japanese are so warm hearted, passionate, generous and enthusiastic. They certainly know how to have fun and make the most out of everything they do! .

They are so formal. I’m so used to rocking up at saying “look at me, I can do this cause I want to” and meeting people that way. It doesn’t really work like that over there, with the exception of foreigners.

I was very fortunate to meet a PHD student called Mia, a researcher of Manga and its elements, from the states. She was in Kyoto giving a lecture on the composition and effects of lettering and the image (the dimension created between the two elements on the page).  I pulled out Courier and shown her my latest issue “Cool”. She flicked through a few pages and returned it to me. I know for a fact she had a lot on her mind at the time. But the gentle g
esture reminded me, I am still a learner no matter how far I Progress. Not everyone is gonna love my work, no matter what I produce. I think I mentioned on an instagram post how much of a relief this felt.

I cared about how the Japanese would receive me and slowly realized, I was viewed as a tourist or a student. Why else would I be there? True; Mangaka are not dime a dozen exactly. Drawing in public did generate much curiosity and interest.

I came to the conclusion and assurance I had nothing to prove, just work to do. After all, I realised I had an advantage being an independent storyteller from an international perspective. Was I thinking I wanted to break into the scene in Japan? To be honest I don’t think so, not as a Mangaka for hire. The conditions for a full time illustrator or animater in Japan are unhealthy..unless you’re the creator and your IP that’s taken off. I wanted to gain knowledge distributing my work there potentially. A translator? A guide? A contact? This will come, and it may not even be my task. I have discovered. I’ve got to start sourcing my work through others. I can’t do it all alone. I can’t progress alone. We need each other. People need people.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art Of Letting Go

What Classifies as Manga Anyway? - { unpublished draft from 11/08/18 }

Fear Vs Creativity